First finished Zoom Loom project – two squares with felt between, a bit of x-stitch and then crochet edges:
Something nice arrived in the post today – first square almost finished…
… and action!
Welcome to my new home here in WordPress land. As I seem to spend most of my time in WordPress it seemed a good idea to move this poor neglected blog here as well.
I can’t say that 2013 was a particularly good year for me – six months with a vertigo-inner-ear thing which made me fall over every time I tilted my head one way (it was funny for about a day or two but the novelty soon wore off); then I knocked my wrist in September and it’s only now getting backing to normal.
On the upside though, I did manage to complete the calendar for mum with only a few missing the first-of-the-month deadline. I had a little bit of help with the injured-wrist months but it’s been such a success that I’m continuing this year too.
I’ve got a new photography assistant too, but he does seem to get the wrong side of the camera a little too often…
So I’m back on the calendar thing again. This time it’s a late Christmas present for mum who needed a what’s-the-date-today kind of calendar rather than one to write events on. It needed to be large print too.
Each month is going to be a different design – partly so that I can play with different techniques but also to keep it interesting! January was made on a piece of dyed copy paper, stamped and then the text added. The backing is handmade paper. It acquired a few buttons and a flower before it was finally hung up but I don’t have a decent photo yet…
…and I bet you thought I wasn’t coming back? I wondered too.
When the end of January arrived I suddenly realised that I was about to run out of calendar – so decided to have a go at making my own. One month done so far:
As it was a bit of an experiment with just ink pads, rubber stamps and pen, I kept it simple – now I know that it’ll fit nicely on an A4 sheet I’ll add a bit more to it next month – which, knowing me, I’ll be doing late on 29th Feb….
… I haven’t really been asleep all this time – but I have to admit that hibernation does sound very appealing.
Actually, I’ve been quite busy since my last real post – visited a lot of talented artists during Artweeks, focusing my visits this year on glass artists; I’ve dusted off my lace pillow in preparation for a workshop I’m teaching in October; had my first go at lampworking at the Flame Off in Towcester and tried enamelling for the first time at Art in Action.
I’ve joined the Oxford Glass Artists group; been to France on holiday; got very wet on the water rides at Legoland and have made a book from beer mats.
Oh, have slept a bit too…..
This week I have mostly been experimenting with inchies. Never heard of them? They’re one inch square pieces of ‘art’ (I don’t consider myself an artist so loath to call anything I do art!). They’re usually card-based but can be made out of anything – fabric, metal, wood etc. So far I’ve done a few backgrounds – a few being in excess of 50…. As they’re small they’re quick to do and this first batch I’ve done with ink stamps on white card.
Next, I added some printed images, text and music to the card before inking:
The next step is to finish these off with some more images, paint, ink or whatever – more experimenting!
I’ve been doing some paper experiments recently with lots of well, mainly glue. Paper fabric is fun and a technique I want to explore further – it’s basically collaging paper, fabric and anything flat to a base of thin fabric using watered-down PVA glue. The thinner the glue mix the more flexible the end result, so my experiment (the bottom left piece with the blues, purples and text) ended up rather stiff with a 50-50 mix – will go thinner next time.
Also in the picture are some of the paper hearts I made from the paper pulp posted earlier, and above that is the start of what I hope I can turn into a book cover – it’s string and tissue paper on card – but I just need to work out how to flatten it ….