Fused glass suncatchers
… I haven’t really been asleep all this time – but I have to admit that hibernation does sound very appealing.
Actually, I’ve been quite busy since my last real post – visited a lot of talented artists during Artweeks, focusing my visits this year on glass artists; I’ve dusted off my lace pillow in preparation for a workshop I’m teaching in October; had my first go at lampworking at the Flame Off in Towcester and tried enamelling for the first time at Art in Action.
I’ve joined the Oxford Glass Artists group; been to France on holiday; got very wet on the water rides at Legoland and have made a book from beer mats.
Oh, have slept a bit too…..
This week I have mostly been experimenting with inchies. Never heard of them? They’re one inch square pieces of ‘art’ (I don’t consider myself an artist so loath to call anything I do art!). They’re usually card-based but can be made out of anything – fabric, metal, wood etc. So far I’ve done a few backgrounds – a few being in excess of 50…. As they’re small they’re quick to do and this first batch I’ve done with ink stamps on white card.
Next, I added some printed images, text and music to the card before inking:
The next step is to finish these off with some more images, paint, ink or whatever – more experimenting!
I’ve been doing some paper experiments recently with lots of well, mainly glue. Paper fabric is fun and a technique I want to explore further – it’s basically collaging paper, fabric and anything flat to a base of thin fabric using watered-down PVA glue. The thinner the glue mix the more flexible the end result, so my experiment (the bottom left piece with the blues, purples and text) ended up rather stiff with a 50-50 mix – will go thinner next time.
Also in the picture are some of the paper hearts I made from the paper pulp posted earlier, and above that is the start of what I hope I can turn into a book cover – it’s string and tissue paper on card – but I just need to work out how to flatten it ….
I’ve been doing a bit of experimenting lately, instead of blogging… and the best thing to come out of it is this:
I’ve had the sewing machine for years but this is the first project that I’ve actually completed – had a two-day deadline, which helped! I found a couple of patterns online and adapted them to make a hat the right size. Then I spent 2 hours designing and making the bow, which I’m very pleased with, and the result:
And of course, there is a black furry tail too.
This is part of a Bucks Point piece that never quite got finished – too many broken threads.
One day I shall incorporate all my unfinished bits of lace into a quilt – I’ve almost got enough now for a good double size one!
… who decided to take a nap in the garden yesterday. We often have foxes and deer passing through the garden but most of them usually have the energy to make it through without a rest.
A little bit of wire-tapping for the glass workshop. Have been focusing on hearts on the run-up to Valentine’s Day, and may soon have to figure out a good bunny shape for Easter…
A bumper day for birds in the garden yesterday – 17 different types – including marsh tit, treecreeper, great spotted woodpecker and a red kite overhead.
This is a moorhen who spent three days in our garden last week – presumably lost and now moved on to somewhere wetter.
I ought to be more careful making paper pulp in the kitchen – that top one looks a bit too much like tomato soup.
Will be turning this into some paper hearts with a few sparkly inclusions.